Improve life outcomes
Racism - Parents 2
Your child is participating in classroom activities focused on understanding racism and bias. Included in these activities are learning how to identify racism, and how to treat others fairly and with respect.
Definition: The word ''race'' is used to describe people based on their physical appearance, or color of their skin. Racism is when a group of people are treated unfairly because of their race. Unfortunately, some groups of people are even treated differently because of the color of their skin.
We would love for you to keep the discussion going at home! Here are just a few ideas to help get the conversation started:
- Were you ever treated differently for how you look? If so, how did it make you feel?
- Have you ever seen someone teased because of the way they look?
- Have you ever treated someone differently because of the way they look?
- What are some ways to treat someone fairly and with respect?
- Select a family member and compare what is the same and different between one another.
Brainstorm with your child ways to treat others in your family and community fairly and with respect.