Improve life outcomes
Making New Friends - Parents 3
Your child is participating in classroom activities focused on learning the importance of making new friends. We would love for you to keep the discussion going at home!
Definition: Making new friends involves introducing yourself to people you don’t know and asking questions to learn about their likes, dislikes, who they are, and sharing details about you. Maintaining a friendship involves completing activities together, sharing stories with each other and helping each other at appropriate times.
Student Goal: While in a social or educational setting (such as classroom, school building, and/or remote learning session), the student will use a learned strategy to make and maintain a friendship.
Here are just a few ideas to help get the conversation started:
- Where are you likely to meet new people?
- What do you look for in a friend?
- What behaviors does a person display that you would not like?
- Describe the last time you made a new friend?
- Is it more important to make a new friend or maintain a friendship?
- What are some things you do to maintain a friendship?