Improve life outcomes
Jumpstart: Empathy - Foundational
1. Identify if empathy was displayed/demonstrated in presented social scenarios.
2. Define empathy in his/her own words.
3. Use rehearsed phrases that demonstrate understanding and practice of empathy.
Activity 1: Showing Empathy
Share with the students the book We’re All Wonders by RJ Palacio. (Available on Youtube here: https://youtu.be/cJurUTRt6as?t=5)
- We’re All Wonders by RJ Palacio
- Chart paper or interactive board
- One piece of paper per student
- Pencil for each student
After reading or listening to the story, lead the students in a discussion about these key points:
- In the story, the young boy shares some ways he is the same as other kids. He also shares that he doesn’t look like other kids. Some people make fun of him because he doesn’t look like other kids. Have you ever been hurt by someone making fun of you?
Brainstorm with students ways that we can show empathy to others who may be different than us. Be sure to elicit ideas on how you can respond when others are making fun of someone. Record answers/ideas on the board or chart paper.
Allow students time to complete Student Activity Sheet A.