Improve life outcomes
Identifying Emotions - Parent 1
Your student is participating in classroom activities helping them learn how to identify emotions. We would love for you to keep the discussion going at home!
Definition: Emotions are a person’s mood or feelings. You have feelings because of what you see, hear, remember or do.
Here a just a few ideas to help get the conversation started:
- Share what happened during both your day and your child’s day. Model labeling emotions by using “feeling words.” Feeling include; happy, sad, angry etc.
- Use statements that start like this: I felt happy when my friend could sit with me to eat lunch. I felt sad when....
- Think of ways you both can start the day with a positive attitude! Here are some ideas to get you started:
- get a good night’s sleep
- have your favorite breakfast food
- give each other a hug to start your day
PPick some of your favorite books. Look through the pictures or choose sections of the book that discuss emotions. Draw a picture of your favorite emotion. After the child’s drawing is completed, discuss with your child why they chose that emotion.