Improve life outcomes
Handling Disagreements - Parent 1
Your student is participating in classroom activities helping them learn how to disagree in a respectful way using kind words. We would love for you to keep the discussion going at home!
Definition: Disagreeing means to have a different feeling or opinion about a topic, like food, from other people. You may think that pizza is the greatest food ever, while your friend does not like to eat pizza at all.
Here are just a few ideas to help get the conversation started:
- What does it mean to disagree?
- Is it okay to disagree?
- What are the consequences of disagreeing?
- How do you feel when you disagree with someone?
- Does your body feel or look different when you disagree with some in a mean way?
- How do we disagree respectfully and politely? Some Thoughts About Disagreeing:
- Don’t put others down when disagreeing.
- Listen to other people's point of view or ideas.
- Don’t use abusive/mean language/words when disagreeing.
Brainstorm with your child the different situations or times when they may need to disagree with someone at home. Role play disagreeing appropriately to these situations.